Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Wade's Birthday

Today is my boyfriend's 22 birthday, and I'm pretty sure that as he blew out the candles on his cake he was wishing for a girlfriend who listened better. Allow me to explain. Several weeks ago, Wade bought me minutes at Endless Summer, a tanning place about 5 minutes from campus. I decided that I didn't want to tan alone, so I convinced Wade to come too. He'd never been tanning before, and he was worried because he burnt very easily. I reassured him that everything would be just fine, and that after 10 minutes in the booth he wouldn't even get any color. He told me multiple times that he had very fair skin, and again I just brushed him off and said that he had nothing to worry about. The very tan employee behind the counter also said that 10 minutes probably wouldn't do much of anything. She handed Wade the waiver he had to sign as a first time tanner, warning him of all of the random risks. Wade looked her in the eyes and asked, "So, do I get cancer right when I sign this...or after I get out of the booth." The poor girl didn't know how to respond. However, Wade clearly had not met his daily quota for smart ass comments, and as we were touring the tanning salon, Wade mentioned that he hoped he could win the staring contest. When the employee asked him what he meant, Wade simply said, "With the light bulbs in the tanning bed."
I enjoyed my tanning session, and I felt just fine afterward. Wade was not so lucky. Later that night he said his back was itchy and painful and he wanted me to take a look at it. The second he lifted up his shirt all I could say was, "Oh my God, I'm sooo sorry."


From now on I will be listening to my boyfriend.

No comments: