Tuesday, February 3, 2009

You have how many siblings?!?!?

Chicago was incredible. If you can't tell, the woman on the right is Kate Gosselin from Jon and Kate plus 8. She answered questions for about 45 minutes and then did a book signing in the entrance of the church. I bought a book, but the line was way too long and I did not stand a chance at getting her autograph.
Sadly, the next day I was back in Michigan and ready for another day in a psych hospital. This week I was on the adult unit, and I got to take care of a man, B. He was a good ol' country boy who loved welding and fishing. He had a drinking problem in the past, but had been sober for 6 years. B. had been unemployed for 8 months and living off of his wife's income...2 million dollars that she had won in the lottery. He wanted her to buy him a $2,000 welding machine so that he could get back to working and feel useful again. She said no. 20 minutes and 2 fifths of peppermint schnapps later, B. tied a noose around his neck, threw the rope over a rafter, and hopped on a bucket to "prove a point" to his wife. She called the cops, and B. was tackled and brought to the mental hospital.
Some fun facts about B., he was the 17th child out of 22 children. After number 18, his mom started giving them away like kittens. She gave birth to all of them, and only had one set of multiples (triplets). He has two sisters that he's never met and says that he's not close with any of his siblings. B. spent a total of 12 years of his life in prison. He also has a thing for beating up child molesters and taking 2 by 4s to wife beaters.
B. was very nice to me, and willing to talk openly about his life. B. has mellowed out quite a bit since his prison days, and now he has 4 daughters and 5 grandkids. He loves his family dearly, and tries to spend as much time as possible with his grandchildren. It was weird for me to counsel a man old enough to be my father. I do not mind taking on a leadership role in the child and adolescent unit because I'm older and smarter and have more life experience. It's uncomfortable for me to walk into an adult unit and assume an authoritative position. What could I possibly offer a man like B. who has gone from a criminal alcoholic to a grandfather who built his own house? I like to think that just listening to his stories helps. B. told me that he has a lot of knowledge that he would like to share with the world. As weird as this sounds, I've learned so much from people that I've worked with on different psych units, and B. was no different. He was just a nice guy with a crazy life story.

No comments: